[2 days left] What’s wrong with your cloud strategy? Learn why multicloud solutions matter with Nimble Storage.Register Now


Active Sync not working on SBS 2008

Posted on 2012-04-05
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
I have a client running Small Business Server 2008. Lately, the client complained that they could not move or delete emails from their iPhone. Each time they attempt, they receive the message "the message could not be moved to the mailbox trash." I attempted to reset all of their iPhone settings, replace the phone and even try to connect to their mailbox via an Android device to no avail (the Android device did not give the same message, but attempts to move or delete items simply failed). I have not seen any errors in the standard Windows Event logs and I am not sure where else to look or what else to do. Any ideas?
Question by:medium_grade
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 5
  • 2

Expert Comment

ID: 37813277
Is this for all users?

Author Comment

ID: 37813282
Not sure. This user is the only one use uses Active Sync. Let me find out.
LVL 17

Expert Comment

ID: 37813307
you may want to test moving and deleting items in OWA, if it works in OWA it's most likely the phone. If I remember correctly there was a problem with the iphone as far back as 2008 regarding this and it happens with Gmail as well as exchange.

It ended up being a setting on the Iphone under the advanced tab in the email account, check the delete trash item here.
Nothing ever in the clear!

This technical paper will help you implement VMware’s VM encryption as well as implement Veeam encryption which together will achieve the nothing ever in the clear goal. If a bad guy steals VMs, backups or traffic they get nothing.


Author Comment

ID: 37814733
Okay, so the problem seems to only exist for that one user. Also the problem still exists in OWA. What do you think?

Author Comment

ID: 37822604
The problem seems to only exist for one user. What might be the issue?

Accepted Solution

Geodash earned 1500 total points
ID: 37823757
If the same issue is evident in OWA - it is probably not an active sync issue, rather an issue with the users mailbox. Try resetting the permission on the mailbox for that user -

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity mailboxname -User user -Accessrights Fullaccess

and try again

Author Comment

ID: 37826008
Ran the command, still no success. In addition, I discovered that the issue only seems to affect the Inbox. I still have the ability to move/delete items in other folders. I checked and reapplied the "Owner" permissions for the Inbox in Outlook and still no luck.

Author Comment

ID: 38272632
Mailbox issue. Deleted and re-created and it worked fine.

Featured Post

Are your AD admin tools letting you down?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article will help to fix the below error for MS Exchange server 2010 I. Out Of office not working II. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" III. Make Internal URLs and External…
Here in this article, you will get a step by step guidance on how to restore an Exchange database to a recovery database. Get a brief on Recovery Database and how it can be used to restore Exchange database in this section!
In this video we show how to create a Shared Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Recipients >> Sha…
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager

656 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question