How to put Exchange 2010 (CAS Array + DAG) in Maintenance Mode?
Posted on 2012-04-05
I'm planning to upgrade memory (RAM) on Exchange Server 2010 running on two ESX hosts. I'm looking for directions to put some part of servers in maintenance mode while the second host handle traffic.
Here is the existing setup:
VMware ESX Hosts: ESX1 and ESX2
Client Access Server 1 (CA1) - Client Access Server Array (CAS Array)
Client Access Server 3 (CA3)
Hub Transport Server 1 (HT1)
Mailbox Server 1 (MB1) - Database Availability Group (DAG)
Forefront UAG Server 1 (UAG1)
Client Access Server 2 (CA2)
Client Access Server 4 (CA4)
Hub Transport Server 2 (HT2)
Mailbox Server 2 (MB2)
Forefront UAG Server 2 (UAG2)
Scenario: I need to put the ESX1 server down to upgrade RAM. Since both hosts contains two sets of server roles, I need to put servers in ESX1 host in maintenance mode, so that it won't interrupt the e-mail access.
Question: Since ESX1 running CAS Array and Mailbox DAG, how can I put both in maintenance mode, while another set of servers running on ESX2 handle the traffic in the mean time?
What's on my mind:
1. Remove (un-check from Windows Network Load Balancer - WNLB) the Client Access Servers (CA1 & CA3) from CAS Array.
2. Shutdown both CA1 and CA2 servers.
3. Then Shutdown Hub Transport Server 1.
4. Run the maintenance script (from Exchange Scripts folder) to put the Mailbox server (MB1) in maintenance mode.
5. Shutdown the server.
6. Upgrade RAM on ESX host. Restart all servers.
7. Re-add the Client Access Servers (CA1 and CA3) to CAS Array.
8. Run the maintenance script again to put the Mailbox server (MB1) into live mode.
I would appreciate if anyone can share your experience and thoughts along with Answer! :)