How to build a new server?
Posted on 2012-04-06
My current MS SQL database server 2008 is running slow in Windows 2008 server. We want o build a new server also we want to use this new server for data center and prepare for a huge data growth.
I want to know, as a beginner DBA, can your experts to tell me the steps how I recommend to the company and approach I still go.
1. How do I refer to the current system to recommend the new system?
2. How big the RAM and memory space for the Windows server should I recommend? Why I take this numbers? what is the tool for the estimation
3. What hardware should I recommend? I am specially not familiar with this part. If you have more info, tell me about it like hardware component, hard drives, RAID, SAN box, storage...etc
4. After the server setup, how do I make the new server exact the same as the existing server? How to do the copy-over or what method I should use? replication, copy database...????? Is there a fast and easy way to make the new server exact the same as the old server?
5. How do I prepare for "not working" situation. I mean if the new server not working after started, what the steps should I take to prevent the loss?