Solved

Powerbuilder - Bulgarian (cyrillic) characters

Posted on 2012-04-07
9
603 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-12
Hi!

Could anybody help me?
I use powerbuilder 11 and I have problems with updating cyrillic characters into database columns thru datawindow. So, I paste cyrillic letters on some datawindow column, no problem - they are displayed well, but when I press "Save" (updating dw), the cyrillic letters disappear and "???" appear instead. We use MSS 2008 and when I paste these letters directly into table's column from Management Studio, it works.
So, maybe I have to set some DBParm variable?

Thank you!
0
Comment
Question by:stefan1967
  • 6
  • 3
9 Comments
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Harish Varghese
ID: 37831392
Hello,

Did you check what value goes into the table when you update the DW?

Thanks,
Harish
0
 

Author Comment

by:stefan1967
ID: 37831718
Yes: '???'  
 :(
0
 

Author Comment

by:stefan1967
ID: 37831774
My DBMS  is:

SQLCA.DBMS = "SNC SQL Native Client(OLE DB)"

I also tried to change dynamically the font.charset to "204" of each CHAR field of DW:

dw.Modify(ls_colname + '.font.charset = "204"')

But didn't work...
0
Are your AD admin tools letting you down?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Harish Varghese
ID: 37831859
Forgot to ask you.. which version of PB are you using?
0
 

Author Comment

by:stefan1967
ID: 37831866
PB 11

Thanks!
0
 

Author Comment

by:stefan1967
ID: 37836278
Other observation is that when I update column in Management Studio like this:

update  TableName  set  ColumnName = 'some cyrillic string'  where  id = 2,

it doesn't work. The value is set to '???'

But if I run:

update  TableName  set  ColumnName = N'some cyrillic string'  where  id = 2,

with N prefix, it is OK.
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Harish Varghese
ID: 37838819
I tried with some other languages in PB 9.0 and it works fine without any special handlings. Unfortunately, I dont have PB 11.0 with me.
Do you have PB 9.0 by any chance? Can you please confirm if you are facing the same issue in PB9.0 as well?
Also, what is the name of the font you are using? Let me give a try.

Thanks,
Harish
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
stefan1967 earned 0 total points
ID: 37839269
Well, as I wrote in the previous comment, the problem was that in MSSQL command like:

update  TableName  set  ColumnName = 'some cyrillic string'  where  id = 2

does not work properly. It puts '?????'.

The proper way is:
update  TableName  set  ColumnName = N'some cyrillic string'  where  id = 2.

So, today I hacked in the sqlpreview event of my DW parentobject the sqlsyntax with adding 'N' before every starting quote. Now it works well from datawindow and maybe my bosses will be happy, but this is not general solution, because updates and inserts happen not only from DW.
I hoped, there is some MSSQL or client-server's variable setting, which results the wished behavior.
Anyway, I'll keep this question opened for a couple of days more, and then close it.

Thank you, Harish, for the help! Maybe we'll meet soon, because I have got another pretty problem. :)
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:stefan1967
ID: 37959942
My last post is a possible solution of the problem. Not a general, but since it works, I close this question.
0

Featured Post

Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
VS2008 C++ memory leaks and how to fix them 7 199
Eclipse insufficient memory error 3 108
Eclipse Neon and jdk 1.8.0 11 195
Visual Studio 2013 and Eclipse Neon 6 36
Here is a helpful source code for C++ Builder programmers that allows you to manage and manipulate HTML content from C++ code, while also handling HTML events like onclick, onmouseover, ... Some objects defined and used in this source include: …
Jaspersoft Studio is a plugin for Eclipse that lets you create reports from a datasource.  In this article, we'll go over creating a report from a default template and setting up a datasource that connects to your database.
This tutorial covers a step-by-step guide to install VisualVM launcher in eclipse.
THe viewer will learn how to use NetBeans IDE 8.0 for Windows to perform CRUD operations on a MySql database.

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question