windows server 2003 raid1 hard drive upgrade
Posted on 2012-04-07
Have a dell server poweredge 1900, running windows server 2003.
2x 160gb sata hard drives
using perc 5/i controller
(with LSI controller on another server box, it will start the rebuilding the mirror once we replaced the drive 1 with a new drive, but not this)
What is the proper procedures to replace the existing drives mirrored bc they are almost 6 years old. thanks in advance.
while waiting for reply,
1. we took out the 2nd drive(drive1) and left drive0 in,
2. booted successful with a message of drive degrade.
3. turn off and connect a 500gb new hard drive (did not rebuild automatically)
4. went to perc 5/i utility during boot up
4. assign the 500gb as hot spare and it is rebuilding.
5. thinking that it should not do any damage
appreciate your advice and steps to finish the upgrade/replacement of 2 old hard drives.