Solved

SBS 2011 DNS Issues

Posted on 2012-04-12
3
1,624 Views
Last Modified: 2012-12-28
We have a Small Business Server 2011 implementation with 8 PCs.  All of our users could not get on sites like fedex.com or ups.com.  Most other sites were fine, but when we browse to UPS or Fedex, it redirects to an obviously spoofed Google page with spammy ads.   I change the default DNS settings at the client to point to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS server and that seemed to fix the problem at the client, but I am worried about the server.  

I ran virus scans on the client and server and did not find any viruses.  SBS 2011 is the DNS server for the network, so I am concerned that something is wrong there.  What steps can I take to fix the DNS settings on the server?
0
Comment
Question by:dtervo
3 Comments
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:BelushiLomax
ID: 37840040
First-off, dont point a DC to a public DNS server. It opens you to dns exploits which you may have.

Clean that up to where it only points to your isp or another inter Non-AD Integrated DNS server and restart the dns services and ipconfig /flushdns. Then consider a tool like hijackthis to get some insight to your bho's etc. Also, check your hosts file and make sure it's ok.

run a dcdiag /c /v /f:dcdiag.txt and search for and copy/paste the Error and Warning items
0
 
LVL 57

Accepted Solution

by:
Cliff Galiher earned 500 total points
ID: 37840077
I suspect your server is fine, but you have some DNS poisoning going on.

First thing is first. Client PC's should *always* only point at AD domain controllers for DNS. Otherwise things like security memberships and group policies will begin to fail. So undo the changes you made. If SBS is your only server then it should be the only DNS listing on the client (SBS's DHCP scopes set this up by default, so if you changed from DHCP to manual, simply switch back.)

Secondly, on the SBS server, open the DNS Server snap-in (under Administrative tools) and set up DNS forwarders. Use known "trusted" servers. Google DNS is not a bad choice, nor is OpenDNS. This is where I suspect the problem came from. You likely have ISP DNS servers now, and not all ISPs are good about protecting from poisoning.

Finally, flush the server's DNS cache once you've made the change and retest a known "bad" site from a client machine. If the problem appears resolved then your server was not the issue, but your DNS forwarders (ISP, etc) were and you've taken them out of the loop.

Good luck.

-Cliff
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:Geodash
ID: 37840080
What are your DNS forwarders pointed to?
0

Featured Post

NAS Cloud Backup Strategies

This article explains backup scenarios when using network storage. We review the so-called “3-2-1 strategy” and summarize the methods you can use to send NAS data to the cloud

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This guide is intended to provide step by step instructions on how to migrate from Small Business Server 2003 to Small Business Server 2011. NOTE: This guide has been written using the preview version of SBS2011 therefore some of the screens may …
The problem of the system drive in SBS 2003 getting full continues to be an issue, even though SBS 2008 and SBS 2011 are both in the market place.  There are several solutions to this, including adding additional drive space or using third party uti…
This Micro Tutorial hows how you can integrate  Mac OSX to a Windows Active Directory Domain. Apple has made it easy to allow users to bind their macs to a windows domain with relative ease. The following video show how to bind OSX Mavericks to …
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to bulk import 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

803 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question