Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 797
  • Last Modified:

Powershell, Scheduled Task, Exchange

Hello Experts,

I have a somewhat bizarre problem which I cant figure out. I have a windows 2008 server r2, which acts as a script runner. In other words it's only purpose is to run scheduled scripts.
Everything and all of the scripts works fine, except one of the scripts. This script bulks out mailbox end user information from exchange 2003 and outputes it to a csv file.

My problem:
When I run the script manually I get all the headers + information out in the csv file
When the script is run from scheduled tasks, it does not output all the information required.

Script code:
$Date = Get-Date
$Date = $Date.ToString("ddMMyyyy")

Get-WmiObject -Class Exchange_Mailbox -NameSpace root\microsoftexchangev2 -ComputerName ExchangeServerName1,ExchangeServerName2 | where {$_.DateDiscoveredAbsentInDS -eq $null} | select @{Label='SamAccountName';Expression={(Get-QADUser -Identity $_.LegacyDN).SamAccountName}}, @{Label='mail';Expression={(Get-QADUser -includedproperties "mail" -Identity $_.LegacyDN).mail}}, ServerName, StorageGroupName, Storename, Size, mailboxdisplayname | Export-Csv C:\Management\MailboxUserInfo\Exchange2003MUI$date.csv -NoTypeInformation

When i run the script manually heres what the output looks like:
SamAccountName,"mail","ServerName","StorageGroupName","Storename","Size","mailboxdisplayname"
Firma,"Firstname.Lastname@domain.se","SMCR090V","First Storage Group","Std2","184319","FullName"
EM0403,"Firstname.Lastname@domain.se","SMCR090V","First Storage Group","Std2","567","FullName"

But when ran from scheduled tasks, the output looks like this:
SamAccountName,"mail","ServerName","StorageGroupName","Storename","Size","mailboxdisplayname"
,,"SMCR090V","First Storage Group","Std2","184319","Fullname"
,,"SMCR090V","First Storage Group","Std2","567","Fullname"


Conclusion:
As you can see when the script is ran from scheduled tasks it will not output the SamAccountName and Mail... Any ideas experts ?

cheer,s

//Juuso
0
JuusoConnecta
Asked:
JuusoConnecta
  • 5
  • 2
  • 2
  • +2
1 Solution
 
AnuroopsunddCommented:
in the Schedule task have you entered the username and password with account that you running manually? it may be the permissions issue.
0
 
JuusoConnectaAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the input. I've taken that into consideration and the result is the same.
I have scheduled the script to be run with the same user account and password than when I run it manually..
0
 
prashanthdCommented:
Have you set script to run with highest privileges?
0
Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

 
JuusoConnectaAuthor Commented:
Yes
0
 
prashanthdCommented:
how did you schedule the script? In a batch file?
0
 
JuusoConnectaAuthor Commented:
No, its directly a powershell script.

Program script: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

Add argument: C:\Management\Scripts\WorkingScripts\Exchange2003UserInfo.ps1
0
 
AnuroopsunddCommented:
can you check below post and see if this can be the reason

http://www.jamssupport.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50027.aspx
0
 
JuusoConnectaAuthor Commented:
Have tried that as well, that isnt the issue. The script is fully functional when running it manually, but not when running thru scheduled tasks, regardless if you use the parameter set-executionpolicy.

I can also add that all other scripts, for example a script that basically does the same thing runs against Exchange 2010 works perfectly, but not the one that goes against exchange 2003..

regards
0
 
slidingfoxCommented:
Looks like the SAMAccountName and Mail items are pulled using the Quest tools (Get-QADUser). Could you try adding the following to the top of the script and see if it makes a difference?

Note: This is assuming that you've installed the Quest AD CmdLets in the default location.

Add-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement
& 'C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Management Shell for AD\qsft.ps1'

Open in new window

0
 
QlemoC++ DeveloperCommented:
Did you issue exact the same commandline? Get-QADUser is Quest cmdlet not loaded as part of the default modules. Your command for testing it manually should say
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe C:\Management\Scripts\WorkingScripts\Exchange2003UserInfo.ps1

Open in new window

, started in e.g. a Cmd window.
0
 
JuusoConnectaAuthor Commented:
Cheers slidingfox, been working so many scripts lately in the same powershell session (probably havent closed it for 3 weeks), so I did not even notice that the quest modules were already in the session, of course I didnt have the add-pssnapin parameter in the scheduled script...

Thanks for this, it was the last of my 10 scripts =), can now relax with a good conscious. Cheers!
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 5
  • 2
  • 2
  • +2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now