Windows 2003 Server domain controller is getting phased out.
I ran adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep on the existing 2003 DC.
I then promoted the 2008 server to a DC, and made it a DNS server.
I restarted both servers multiple times.
I waited overnight, and then shutdown the old 2003 server.
I pointed the 2008 server to it's own IP for DNS, and removed the 2003 server IP from DNS in the NIC.
Even though the 2008 server is a domain controller, and was able to access active directory while the 2003 server was up, it is unable to access it with the 2003 server shutdown.
I am getting a few errors:
This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain MYDOMAIN due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.
If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.
When accessing Active Directory
- Naming information could not be located because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
- The domain "mydomain.local" could not be found because the specified domain either does not exist, or could not be contacted.
Group Policy Event:
The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator.
My suspicion is that it is a DNS issue, but I am at a loss.
If I turn the 2003 DC back on, and point the 2008 server to it as DNS, then active directory and everything works fine.
I am thinking I probably missed a step somewhere.
Thanks for the help!