Solved

(How) Does Report Builder Handle "Drill-Through" Reporting?

Posted on 2012-04-13
4
715 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-18
I am coming to you gurus with a problem I can’t get past.  I keep running into an error (see screenshot below).  I am trying to create a drillthrough report and subreport.  Each time I set the path to another report I get this error.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if my permissions are restricting me from accessing two reports at the same time.  I am working on creating summary reports that will point to other reports for more details if needed and do not want to use drilldowns as it would leave too many empty placeholders for printing a summary page.  Any help would be wonderful.
Report-Builder-Error-041212.png
0
Comment
Question by:gberkeley
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 25

Accepted Solution

by:
TempDBA earned 500 total points
ID: 37845688
1.May be the value you are retrieving in the main report is null and it is not allowed in the parameter for the sub-report.
2. Have you got proper permission to run the sub-report. Can you try running it once?
0
 

Author Comment

by:gberkeley
ID: 37850998
Good places to check!!! Will take a look and confirm.
0
 

Author Comment

by:gberkeley
ID: 37851799
UPDATE 4/16:
I was able to get a subreport to display in the main report.  The subreport was a copy of the main report (renamed) and pulled from the same dataset.  As soon as I started to play with the parameters the error code appeared again.

I do not have any nulls in the report (main or sub/drillthrough).

I am able to run the reports individually.

I will continue to play with this a little today.  I think I am getting close.  I am going to create a drillthrough report and main report with limited info for testing purposes using the same dataset.  It may have to do with folder structure/permissions.  I intend to maintain all datasets and reports within the same folder for the testing.  

Any thoughts on this most welcome.  BTW - we are using SharePoint 2010 as "front end" for report runners, and Report Builder as "Back end" design studio,
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:gberkeley
ID: 37986934
We checked and validated that permissions were not the issue, and then with some playing around, we discovered that - THE PARAMETER NAMES IN THE SUBREPORT ARE CASE SENSITIVE.  Strange but true.   Now we can get the sub report to run. In classic MSFT fashion, we still get the same error at run time, but it actually runs and returns the desired results as well.   THANKS SO MUCH for your help with this and for your responsiveness.
0

Featured Post

How Do You Stack Up Against Your Peers?

With today’s modern enterprise so dependent on digital infrastructures, the impact of major incidents has increased dramatically. Grab the report now to gain insight into how your organization ranks against your peers and learn best-in-class strategies to resolve incidents.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In this article I will describe the Detach & Attach method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
In this article I will describe the Copy Database Wizard method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…

820 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question