I am working on a 'share' access/permissions problem at a client site where one of the PCs can not make changes to any of the documents inside the 'shared folder'; All of the MS Word and Excel documents open up as 'Read Only'. The strange part about this is at one time in the recent past ALL of this was working. I am looking for some troubleshooting suggestions and I do not mind starting at the basics, something has changed, but finding out what is eluding me.
BTW, I did not design this, so I am coming in new to the configuration.
- The customer has a file depository on the 'Main PC' which is acting like a 'file server'.
- There is one folder that contains all of the documents that need to be accessed by all four PCs - Let us call it 'Main-Share'.
I have confirmed the following:
- All four PCs are on the same Workgroup.
- All four PCs have the same Security Rights to the folder and to the files in question.
- On the problem PC, I have access to the target folder and files, I can see them and I can open them up in MS Word or Excel.
- When I open the files in either MS Word or Excel, they come up as 'Read Only' and I can not Save or SaveAs a file back to the target shared folder.
- On the problem PC, I have created an new user both Standard and Administrator and gone through the 'Mapping Drive' process and I get the same result.
- I have attempted this with a user with and without a password - No Go.
Any one have any pointers to some good troubleshooting guides or suggestions?