1. It might take 7 seconds to open Google.com (the home page) after launching browser.
Search results show up very fast and normal. But when clicking on a result, it is very slow to open.
2. I typed in www.msn.com
in address bar, it might take 20 seconds to switch from Google to MSN, and it might take another 20 seconds to finish loading MSN home page.
3. IE and Firefox both have the same issue.
4. This happens on all workstations and the server itself.
5. "Ping" does not work on workstaions, but works on server
On server, "ping www.google.com
" takes 15ms while on workstations, it shows "Request timed out"
6. The web sites are opened very slowly, but they are all eventually opened without errors.
What I have done
1. This seems to start happening since last Monday (Apr 9th) after i installed 7 security updates and 1 VSS hotfix on Apr 6th.
So I removed all 7 securty updates and the VSS hotfix, but this did not help
2. I connected a laptop directly to the router. The internet access was very fast and normal on the laptop.
3. I ran speed test on the server and workstations. The results are very normal - download 3Mbps, upload 1Mbps
4. On workstations, I replaced the DNS servers from ISP's to the public ones: 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124
This did not help, ever worse, the internet seemed to be even slower when using public DNS servers.
5. Ran SBS BPA, nothing special, except that Intel NIC drivers are over 1 yr old.
This is a Dell PE2600. The NICs are "Intel Pro/100 S Server Adapter" (for external) and "Intel Pro/1000 XT Workstation Connection" (for internal). The latest drivers for both of them from Intel are year 2008, and they both are on the latest versions (2008).
6. Ran ISA BPA, nothing special.
7. I suspected ISA 2004 (already on SP3). I followed KB902347 & KB905179 to make changes on "EnablePMTUDiscovery", this did not help.
8. Stopped all Trend Micro services on the server, this did not help.
What else could I miss?