XP client not connecting to domain

curtis424
curtis424 used Ask the Experts™
on
I have an XP client machine that would not connect to the domain this morning. The domain has a single DC. I tried removing it from the domain by assigning it to a workgroup & re-joining the domain. I then  tried renaming the computer & then re-joining the domain. I then tried removing the computer account from Active Directory & re-joining the domain. The computer shows up in Active Directory, but the account is disabled. Enabling the account in Active Directory does not get the computer joined to the domain.

Using the network wizard on the client computer gets me the following error message "the specified server cannot perform the requested operation". I am not finding any error in Active Directory on the corresponding server.
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Delete the computer account in ADUC. Verify the DNS settings are correct and try rejoining.

Commented:
From the XP machine, open a command prompt > Start>run>cmd

Type

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Then reboot and try again

Author

Commented:
I had already tried deleting the computer account in Active Directory, I used removing instead of deleting. DNS is set up to connect automatically, I manually set the IP of the DHCP server & still had no luck.

Author

Commented:
ran the netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt, didn't fix the problem. I'm going to try removing the antivirus & firewall software to see if that is the culprit.

Author

Commented:
Tried setting a static ip on the client, now i'm getting the following error "network path not found".

Commented:
It seems like it cannot find your DC. Have you tied to ping your DC?

Author

Commented:
I can ping the IP, but not the FQDN.
Senior Operation Specialist
Commented:
Try flush the DNS on the local computer and also have a look at the hosts file under the path "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"

Flush DNS through CMD
ipconfig /flushdns

Make sure that there is no corrupted entry in the hosts file. Try add the IP and FQDN of DC to the hosts file and see if that resolves the issue.

You may also reset WINSOCK (to be on safer side)
netsh winsock reset catalog

Commented:
Logon to the client locally and go to START>>Run>>type in "Services.MSC" and press enter.

Scroll down to the Netlogon Service applet and set that to STARTED and Automatic.

Also, look at this policy setting:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/580.mspx?mfr=true

Author

Commented:
I went into the hosts file, adding the IP & FQDN did the trick. Thanks for the help!
Mohammed RahmanSenior Operation Specialist

Commented:
Hi curtis424...

Thanks for letting us know what helped you resolve the issue. ..!!

Commented:
Your issues are not over.. You just applied a bandaid to an open wound. The problems you are having with DNS need to be fixed or you will suffer a problem with domain services.

I have never really cared about points. So, Let's just fix the issue correctly.. Take one machine and make it accept a dynamic IP and DNS. Go to the command prompt and type IPconfig /release, then IPconfig /renew. Then, post an IPconfig /all of that client. You probably have an outside server somewhere in the DHCP scope options that's being passed down to the client, or your DHCP scope options isn't configured with your internal DNS servers that host the SRV records for Domain services. That will point your DHCP clients to the wrong place for domain services, like Active Directory. That doesn't work.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial