We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

SBS2011 Backup issues

aNaLyz3R
aNaLyz3R used Ask the Experts™
on
Hi Guys
I'm getting the below error on backups, please help?


The backup operation that started at '¿2012¿-¿04¿-¿19T05:33:06.026000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348129'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®

Author

Commented:
I tried all the solutions :

This one ran fine :

I ran the Sharepoint 2010 Configuration Wizard from Start>All Programs>Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products> Product config. wizard.  Go thru the upgrade/update (do not change any server info, you're just updating the software- note your SP site will be down durin the upgrade about 15 minutes).  Finish the wizard, close SP Foundation, and try to run the Windows Backup again.  Mine worked perfectly. after the upgrade

But then failed with the below.......

Not sure if it's interlinked?

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
Date:          2012/04/19 03:00:47 PM
Event ID:      6398
Task Category: Timer
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      
User:          HD-SA\spfarm
Computer:      HDSBS2011.HD-SA.LOCAL
Description:
The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpgradeJobDefinition (ID 19772c31-9b81-4106-98c8-79dc823d6bc4) threw an exception. More information is included below.

An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20120419-145809-438 was updated by HD-SA\spfarm, in the OWSTIMER (800) process, on machine HDSBS2011.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation" Guid="{6FB7E0CD-52E7-47DD-997A-241563931FC2}" />
    <EventID>6398</EventID>
    <Version>14</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>12</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-19T13:00:47.426988000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>64040</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{B454CAAB-0426-4BD5-9A9B-50EBD29CA146}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="800" ThreadID="33940" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>HDSBS2011.HD-SA.LOCAL</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2497446348-1145454354-1003734048-3156" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="string0">Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPUpgradeJobDefinition</Data>
    <Data Name="string1">19772c31-9b81-4106-98c8-79dc823d6bc4</Data>
    <Data Name="string2">An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action. The object SPUpgradeSession Name=Upgrade-20120419-145809-438 was updated by HD-SA\spfarm, in the OWSTIMER (800) process, on machine HDSBS2011.  View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Commented:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee513069.aspx

repair sharepoint

have you tried rebooting?

Author

Commented:
i've restarted the server, after restarting it, if i now go to sharepoint central administration it comes up with :

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

All services are started, how do i resolve this?
I think you need to allow a little longer for all the services to start after a reboot.
I would do the following:-
Reboot the server
wait 1/2 hour
completely delete and recreate the SBS backup on a new disk drive
Run a manual backup to test.

Mark

Author

Commented:
Ok, that's sorted the HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
Sharepoint Central Administration v4 had stopped, restarted it.

I need to confirm something though.
On the 17th of this month Sharepoint 2010 SP1 was loaded onto the server.
Since then the backups have failed......

I have run the PSConfig at command prompt, also hasn't worked.
I also did the below which hasnt helped

http://www.altaro.com/blog/sbs-2011-backups-failing-vss-error-0x800423f3-event-id-8230-spfarm-spsearch/