I work for a small manufacturing company. Over the next month or so, we will be upgrading our CRM software. One of the added features we'll be getting will be a web portal for our employees to take advantage of.
My knowledge in working with websites is extremely limited. However, I do understand the basics. I'm trying to complete the majority of the ground work ahead of time. Here is some general information.
- The website will be hosted on Server 2008 R2 Standard.
- The web server (IIS) role has been enabled
As of the installation of the role, I have a default website. I've added a certificate to enable the use of https and all internal testing is working great.
When I open a browser and type http://servername
and run - I get the IIS page. Same thing happens when I type https://servername
and hit run.
Now that everything seems to work internally, I've gone to our public DNS provider and added the following A Record: crm.domainname.com at xx.xxx.xx.174. (keep in mind this was last week and has had time to propagate). Now when I ping this dns name, I receive responses from my firewall (cisco asa). Good so far.
The next step was to route https traffic on that IP address to my internal web server. Here are the config lines that do this:
access-list outside_access_in extended permit tcp any host xx.xxx.xx.174 eq https
access-list outside_access_in remark CRM Website Access
static (inside,outside) tcp xx.xxx.xx.174 https 172.xx.xx.83 https netmask 255.255.255.255
Lastly, in IIS, I've created an https binding to that default website.
Now when I go to my browser and type https://crm.domainname.com
, I do not receive any form of error message. It hangs for quite a while and eventually tells me the page cannot be displayed.