We have a mixed Apple/Microsoft environment running on Windows Server 2008. About a month ago, I transitioned all of our Mac users to Active Directory instead of using a local user account on their machine. That transition went relatively smooth. The only hoop I had to go through was to manually add the IP address of the domain controller as the DNS in each Mac's Network Preferences. All users have been transitioned to using Active Directory and setup with Mobile accounts so they can function when their at home and not connected to the domain controller. Everything was working well - for a few weeks.
Earlier this week, I began getting reports from Mac users being (1) unable to login (2) not being able to access the shared drives on the server.
- Lion users have been able to continue logging in and using their computers, as you would expect with the mobile accounts setup. Lion users can also still access the shared drives.
- Snow Leopard users are now unable to log into their computer at all sometimes. Occasionally, they are able to log into their machines after a full reboot. But, once logged in, they still cannot administrate their machines. It says the username/password is bad. The admin account I've been using is also not accepted, so I have no way of getting admin privileges on these SL machines. SL users are also unable to connect to the Shared Drives on the server. They get past authenticating fine, and get as far as the Shared List, but once making a selection from the list, Finder freezes trying to open it.
So, there's couple problems going on, but it seems to me the source of the problem is the server. I'm hoping to resolve the connection issue, and hoping that will get my Snow Leopard users back up and running without needing Admin privileges for their machines.
Using a Lion machine to troubleshoot, I have found...
- The login screen shows the red dot and says "Network Accounts Unavailable"
- But, after logging in (to an existing mobile account), the "Network Account Server" option in Account Prefs under "Login Options" is green.
- Trying to authenticate for admin priveleges with a server admin account fails. I can only authenticate with an existing mobile account.
- I unbinded from the domain, and when attempting to reBind, I receive the error:
Unable to add to server. Node name wasn't found.
I expected this based off of the problems I'm having, but didn't realize it would be so hard to rectify.
In order to reBind, I have tried:
- Deleting computer account from the AD and restarting client machine
- Restarting server
- Binding from GUI in prefs, and dsconfigad command in terminal. Same results
- Deleting all entries with my computers name from Forward DNS Lookup on the server
- Connecting via a different WiFi network, and by wired
- Deleting and readding IP address of server as DNS on the mac network prefs.
I'm out of ideas not, but this causing some pretty major issues for us. I could greatly use some help. I'm a production guy, not really an IT guy.