I work in Windows IT and have Active Directory, Exchange, and file shares deployed. I have a user wants to integrate a late model Mac into the environment but I don't have much experience with Macs so I wanted to know what to expect. A few questions:
1. Can a MAC join an AD domain? I believe the answer is yes.
2. Will logon scripts run to map shared drives (IE, we have an N: that is mapped to \\Windows_server\share)? If not, is there another way to create these mapped drives?
3. When the user logs on to Mac, will he/she needs to enter AD credentials just like on a Windows machine? If so, when he/she logs onto file shares, will he be able to not reenter those credentials as on a Windows box?
4. Is there built-in ability to remote desktop to a Mac or something similar? Or does this require special software?
5. Will group policies work to enforce policies, etc.? My understanding is that they will not.
6. Is there an automatic and centrally managed way to update Macs?
7. I currently use Symantec endpoint protection. I know there is a version of this for Mac. Can I manage it from the same Symantec endpoint protection manager console?
8. Is there anything else I should be thinking of in terms of IT-related items for bringing a Mac into the environment?
Thanks very much for your help.