Empty Global Address List

jabbman
jabbman used Ask the Experts™
on
I noticed that our GAL did not have current information so I did an update 2 days ago.  Everything looked fine then and yesterday, but this morning the entire GAL shows up as blank in users outlook.  To add to the weirdness it shows up fine and updated when you go in through Outlook Web App.  Any ideas???
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
Hendrik WieseInformation Security Manager

Commented:
Hi,

Please follow my article to manually updated your GAL and ensure that everything is in tact, then let me know if it helps?
 
Manually Update Global Address List (GAL) on Exchange 2010

Should the article help with the solution please mark the article as helpful?

Cheers!!!
is cached exchange mode enabled for your profile?  if so, can you try disabling it, restart outlook, and let me know if it pulls the updated/accurate GAL (thinking it's an issue with the OAB)
Hendrik WieseInformation Security Manager

Commented:
Hi,

Please follow my article to manually updated your GAL and ensure that everything is in tact, then let me know if it helps?
 
Manually Update Global Address List (GAL) on Exchange 2010

Should the article help with the solution please mark the article as helpful?

Cheers!!!
Success in ‘20 With a Profitable Pricing Strategy

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden using our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Start calculating Now!

Author

Commented:
I took it out of cache mode and that didn't help.
I'll try the other suggestion

Author

Commented:
One the first step of that solution I received the following:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>update-GlobalAddressList -Identity "Default Global Address List" -DomainController "ercfileserver.erc-incorporated.com"

WARNING: The recipient "erc-incorporated.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/OAB Version 2" is invalid and couldn't
be updated.
WARNING: The recipient "erc-incorporated.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book -
\/o=ERCINC\/cn=addrlists\/cn=oabs\/cn=Default" is invalid and couldn't be updated.
WARNING: The recipient "erc-incorporated.com/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Organization(409)" is invalid and
couldn't be updated.

Author

Commented:
The strangest this is that its perfect in OWA.  Why would that be?
Hendrik WieseInformation Security Manager

Commented:
Hi,

Please excuse the dbl post the phones browser bombed out.

Cheers!!!

Author

Commented:
Ok I have confirmed its not the OAB because after taking the steps above my EXCHANGEOAB directory is completely blank.  No LZX files and nothing in the oab.xml file.  So the issue must be with my GAL, but again it shows up fine in the Web App.
Hendrik WieseInformation Security Manager
Commented:
Is ercfileserver.erc-incorporated.com your primary domain controller as specified in exchange?

To confirm which AD server your Exchange uses do the following:
1. Open Exchange Management Console
2. Expand Server Configurations
3. Click on Client Access
4. Right click on your CAS server and click properties
5. Select the system settings tab and have a look at what domain controller is being used

Now try and run the script using the domain controller specified and see if it helps. If not we could look at re-creating the address list.
Information Security Manager
Commented:
Also have a look at the following to ensure that the LdapRecipientFilter attribute is not empty.

Add it manually if it does not exist.

1.      Run Adsiedit.msc tool
 
2.      Locate the Default Global Address List
 
Configuration->Services->Microsoft Exchange->org name->Address List Container->All Global Address Lists->Default Global Address List
 
3.      Right click the Default Global Address List and click Properties
 
4.      Please ensure the purportedSearch attribute has correct LDAP filter configured. If it is not, I suggest that you add it manually:

(&(mailNickname=*)(|(objectClass=user)(objectClass=contact)(objectClass=msExchSystemMailbox)(objectClass=msExchDynamicDistributionList)(objectClass=group)(objectClass=publicFolder)))
 
After that, please force AD replication and ensure all DC has correct attribute value configured. Then, please run Update-GlobalAddressList to update the Default Global Address List again.

Please check name again and let me know the result.

Reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/813ec258-4de4-4f78-b249-b81a2c8363ce

Commented:
Thank you, Hendrik!! I could't figure out why all of my new GALs were empty. I found the purportedSearch value and it was empty! I added the search string and then ran the Update-GlobalAddressList command and now they are all there!!

Thank you so much, you just saved me from the 100 searches I've already done.
Hendrik WieseInformation Security Manager

Commented:
Glad I could help :)

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial