Avatar of BleedBurntOrange
BleedBurntOrange
Flag for United States of America asked on

Outlook not taking imports

I have a client that has non-domain administrators unable to import CSV or XLS files into their contacts in Outlook while in their Terminal Server session. I am able to take the same files and import them, without fail, as the admin or as a member of the domain administrators group.

Until about 6 weeks ago users were able to import without any challenge. I suspect an update on the Exchange server; but do not know how to vet that information. The Terminal Server is running Server 2008 R2 with Outlook 2003. Exchange is 2007.

Errors:
1. An error has occurred in the Microsoft Excel Translator while getting the contents of a file system.

The Microsoft Excel File <file location on terminal sever> hos no named ranges. Use MS Excel to name the range of data you want to import (click ok to dismiss).

2. A file error has occurred in the translator while trying to establish a filed map.
Unexpected error (53) occurred (click okay to dismiss)
OutlookWindows Server 2008Exchange

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
BleedBurntOrange

8/22/2022 - Mon
apache09

I dont think it will be an issue with Exchange, but permissions on the Terminal Server itself

When you got it working for yourself, did you do this on your local PC?
Or did you also try it in terminal server?

I Also think the issue may be more related to the Named Range or ODBC settings / setup on the terminal server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196743
BleedBurntOrange

ASKER
As administrator or a member of the administrators group, in Terminal Server is how we tested the import of the files into Outlook. The mechanics of how the file is imported have not changed. The user goes through the same process to import the contacts into Outlook as before, but this time getting the afore mentioned errors.

You are saying that the permissions have changed on the user so they can no longer import the files into Outlook?

Would a recent terminal server update (server 2008 R2) have made the change.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
BleedBurntOrange

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
or
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question
BleedBurntOrange

ASKER
It was not quite as cut and dry as creating new user profiles on the TS. There was a GP issue that prohibited the creation of user profiles, so they were only getting Temp profiles when they logging back in.  The GP was pointing to one AD server that did to have the correct GP, so it would not run. The GP were not replicating between the primary and secondary AD servers. I had to clean out the registry of the user.bak registry entries on the terminal server, and then rename the user profiles on the Terminal and AD server that hosted the roaming profiles. Once I did all that, the profiles re-created on the TS and AD servers when the users logged on. I configured Outlook and moved over users file from the .olds I renamed. Only then was the user able to import and map the CSV file.
This is the best money I have ever spent. I cannot not tell you how many times these folks have saved my bacon. I learn so much from the contributors.
rwheeler23