Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of bobmillington

asked on

DHTML Menu makes flash movie dissapear only in Safari

I have a DHTML Menu and multiple flash objects on a site.  When the DHTML Menu is selected (which rolls over the flash movie) it makes the flash movie disappear entirely.  
This only happens in Safari (5.1.7).  It works in Firefox and IE 9.  I have read quite a bit on this topic and most suggestions refer to the wmode and changing from transparent to opaque....which has been done.

If anyone has suggestions on how I could tweak the html code, css code or any settings in flash during the publishing of the swf, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a few screen shots of what the page looks like in safari and in IE.

Here is the site:  

Here is that code:

<object id="FlashID" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="320" height="299">
                <param name="movie" value="stars_final_clouds.swf" />
                <param name="quality" value="high" />
                <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
                <param name="menu" value="false">
                <param name="swfversion" value="" />
                <!-- This param tag prompts users with Flash Player 6.0 r65 and higher to download the latest version of Flash Player. Delete it if you don’t want users to see the prompt. -->
                <param name="expressinstall" value="Scripts/expressInstall.swf" />
                <embed src="stars_final_clouds.swf" wmode="opaque" menu="false" width="320" height="299" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspace=""> </embed>

Many Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Avatar of Dewmec
Flag of United States of America image

Hi bobmillington,

I'm working on the issue for you, but I need the menu .gif's from your images folder, so I can test results on my local machine. The files, used in your css, that I need you to post is as follows:
#header-nav {
	background-image: url(../images/tile_header-nav1.gif);
#header-subnav {
	background-image: url(../images/tile_header-subnav1.gif);
   	background-image: url(../images/backgroundflag.jpg);
#content-BG {
	background-image: url(../images/bg_sidebars.jpg);
#subnavTagline {
	background-image: url(../images/VMRF-HonoringService.png);

Open in new window

I just need the tile_header-nav1.gif, tile_header-subnav1.gif and the backgroundflag.jpg, etc. images so that I can produce that page and finish testing.

Once I'm able to duplicate the error, then I can isolate the problem, which is half of the battle in getting it resolved. Thanks.

Avatar of bobmillington


Thanks so much for taking a peek at this, here are the files you were looking for.

Hi bobmillington,

Thanks. I almost have what I need to make a proper test, but it's still a little off because just need that last image for the subnav called
#subnavTagline {
	background-image: url(../images/VMRF-HonoringService.png);

Open in new window

Thanks for posting back so quickly. With any luck, we can wrap this up over the weekend. :-)

Here is the last image....many thanks.

Hi bobmillington,

I'm still working on your issue, I think I located some trouble areas, but I am having difficulty reproducing the error locally to do any test. The menu is not showing up at all and I believe it is because I still need a few images from you.

They are as follows:


I believe that this is all I should need, but just to be sure, it would be great if you could zip your images folder of the webpage and post it to make sure there are no other images that I am still missing.

Sorry for the delay, but I thought it was a problem with the .js files at first from the error messages I was receiving in another program. I finally looked a little deeper in the code to find the missing files above.

I will be sure to keep you posted on my progress going forward, jbut I just can't test the solution without those files. Usually if I can reproduce the error locally, I can fix the problem. Thanks.

Hi bobmillington,

I'm trying hard to resolve your problem, but since I can't get the menu to work properly, it's impossible to see if the changes do anything to fix your issue.

I need to have any of the files associated with the menu, so that I can duplicate the actual error and resolution. This means anything such as the .css file, etc. for the menu. For example, I am missing the .css file that has the "id="bd_nd_hui_script_2" from your webpage.

The global.css file does not contain the necessary css, so getting the proper files is essential. Otherwise, I am dead in the water. I've tried to work without it, but it's painful, since I can't track the changes as I stated. Thanks.

Hi Dewmec,

I think we have been able to get our problem solved.  We have changed the publish settings in Flash to include an html file as well.  Then we took the html code and embedded it on our flash  page.  This extra html code that flash cs3 produced seem to work.

The code attached fixes this issue in Safari and Firefox, not sure why..but it does.

See below

Many Thanks for trying to help!
Avatar of Dewmec
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Thanks for working so hard on this!