We are setting up our CuteFTP to work with SSH keys in our hosting site.
Here is the details on our host and CuteFPT software.
8.0.5 Build 02.06.2007.1
Here are the actions that we did.
In our hosting server.
1. Login to Cpanel Admin
2. Click the "SSH/Shell Access" link
3. in the SSH window, click the "Manage SSH Keys" button.
4. In the "Manage SSH Keys" click the "Generate a new Key" link.
5. In the "SSH Key Generator" we provided all information required which are:
a. Key Name = id_dsa
b. Key Password = *********
c. Password (Again) = *********
d. Key Type = DSA
e. Key Size = 2040
6. Then generated the key.
7. Going back to the "Manage SSH Keys" window, we clicked the "Manage Authorization" button and clicked "authorized".
8. Going back to the "Manage SSH Keys" window, we click the "View/Download" link in the Public keys section and downloaded the public key e.g. "id_dsa.pub"
9. Going back to the "Manage SSH Keys" window, we click the "View/Download" link in the Private keys section, provided the passphrase to unlock id_dsa for conversion and downloaded the private key e.g. "id_dsa.ppk"
1. Create a new site and entered the necessary information in the "General" tab.
2. In the type section, we chose "SFTP using SSH2 (Secure Shell)" as the protocol type and leave all the other settings by default then save the new site.
3. in CuteFTP Menu, we went to "Tools" > "Global Options" then click "Security" > "SSH2 Security"
4. In the "Public key Path" we entered the path to the "id_dsa.pub" file that was downloaded from Cpanel.
5. In the "Provate key Path" we entered the path to the "id_dsa.ppk" file that was downloaded from Cpanel.
6. Added the passphrase/password that was created in step 5 above when setting up the hosting server but when we press "Apply" it is saying that the passphase is incorrect so we left the passphase blank instead.
7. Clicked the new site that was created and asked for the passphrase so I entered again the passphrase however it is saying that it is not correct.
Is the above steps correct? If not, can you send us the correct way of pairing our CPanel hosted site with CuteFTP. I am not much familiar with SSH but we need to have a secure way of uploading our site so we need to use SSH.