• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 825
  • Last Modified:

How to remove internal autodiscover record

Hi all,

I inherited a Windows 2008 SBS installation and am migrating their Exchange to a hosted environment. After transferring MX records and setting up my first Outlook profile, I discovered that it prompted me for a login and password every time I opened Outlook.

The hosted firm determined that an internal autodiscover record is causing the problem. When their automated Outlook configuration utility is run, it should be automatically establishing Exchange Proxy settings that point to their server. However, after many attempts to manually add this entry, it keeps reverting back to the internal setting.

The internal setting that keeps appearing is remote.domain.com.  When I look in DNS on the server, I see the standard domain.local forwarding zone, but I also see a forwarding zone called remote.domain.com, however, I don't see any autodiscover record in that zone.

How can I remove the internal autodiscover that keeps overriding the hosted firms autodiscover?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom
0
tgreendyk
Asked:
tgreendyk
1 Solution
 
suriyaehnopCommented:
Hi,

Please try to create a CNAME of autodiscover.domain.local and point to autodiscover.remote.domain.com
0
 
Leon FesterCommented:
Autodiscover records are SRV records.
You won't find them from NSLOOKUP, unless you set the type of record to locate.

Run NSLOOKUP
set type=srv
autodiscover.remote.domain.com

How to configure autodiscover: Should be the same for your hosted solution, just make sure you've got the correct DNS zones.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881
http://duitwithsbs.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/create-dns-service-location-srv-records-for-the-exchange-autodiscover-service/
0
 
tgreendykAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the posts!

Yesterday I got Microsoft's tech support to "help" me and now they've completely broken RWW -- they turned off MSExchange autodiscover and people can't see any available servers to connect to when they use the SBS RWW address.

So I have to dig out from that now!

Tom
0
Transaction-level recovery for Oracle database

Veeam Explore for Oracle delivers low RTOs and RPOs with agentless transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of Oracle databases. You can restore the database to a precise point in time, even to a specific transaction.

 
ArneLoviusCommented:
You have probably been experiencing the AD connection point, not an autodiscover record.

If Microsoft PSS "broke" RWW while supporting you, then they should also fix RWW as part of the support call.
0
 
tgreendykAuthor Commented:
Yes, particularly since it was a paid incident. I have a scheduled call with them shortly.

Since they provided them in the followup email, here's what they did:

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:
 
¿We repro the issue & found the url for autodiscover was changing to https://remote.xxxxx.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml
¿We Opened the Exchange Management Shell on server & changed the internal url for autodiscover to the external exchange , still same issue
¿Found an Autodiscover record in DNS , removed it but had same problem
¿For Test purpose we stopped SBS web app & checked , Outlook worked fine
¿Went to SCP in Active Directory - ADSI Edit - Configuration - CN=Configuration,DC=Server,DC=local - CN=Services-CN=Microsoft Exchange-CN=First Organization-CN=Administrative Groups-CN=Exchange Administrative Group  (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)-CN=Servers-CN=Server Name-CN=Protocols-CN=Autodiscover & removed the https://remote.xxxxx.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml from there
¿Checked the Outlook now , it worked fine
¿Also stopped the Autodiscover app pool
¿We checked on other Outlook Client , were still getting Password Prompt
¿Recreated profile & were able to get Outlook Working.
0
 
ArneLoviusCommented:
So at least they got to the Service Connection Point :-)

Not sure if Exchange will recreate it though.

If it does, I would change it to the new hosted service URL and then modify the security on it to prevent it being overwritten by Exchange.
0
 
tgreendykAuthor Commented:
Well don't I feel like an idiot! Definitely one of the most boneheaded things I've done in a while! :-)

Turns out there was no problem at all -- I was doing all my testing using Firefox! Everything worked fine in IE.

As for the user who reported it not working, when I called this morning he said "oh, yeah, it's working fine now".

Thanks for the comments, though, everyone.

(I need to get some sleep I think)
0
 
tgreendykAuthor Commented:
Resolved with Microsoft support - needed to use IE to test.
0

Featured Post

Transaction-level recovery for Oracle database

Veeam Explore for Oracle delivers low RTOs and RPOs with agentless transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of Oracle databases. You can restore the database to a precise point in time, even to a specific transaction.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now