Windows XP Boot Cycles Before Splash Screen & CD Recovery Consule
Posted on 2012-08-17
I have a Windows XP machine which boots to the 'windows didn't start propeoryly last time screen' offeirng me to start normally, safe mode etc. Regardless of which option I choose it reboots the machine back to same screen. Here is what I have tried so far.
1. Won't enter the reovery consule from original install CD. When I select the operating system to load it hangs i.e. no administrator password offered up.
2. Used BartPE boot CD and run MBRFIX and MBRwizard but no change.
3. Tried setting the registry Crashcontrol key to 0 but didn't stop it from re-booting.
4. Tried pressing F8 and disabling the crash reboot that way but no change.
5. Opened the boot.ini file and compared with a good one. Both had same entries.
6. I can insert a good win XP HD and it boots ok so I know the hardware is good.
Can anyone help me to know how to break into the boot cycle and see where it is going wrong? Any utilities you can suggest that will help out.
Using the BartPE CD I can access all the disks files ok.
Thanks, Gary, UK