Windows 7 will not boot
Posted on 2012-08-17
I think I am at reinstall from scratch time but I wanted to ask around first to make sure I am not missing anything.
Dell PC running windows 7 Pro 64. User reported to me this morning that the machine completely froze up & would not respond. He did a hard reset [held power button down] & on starting up the machine gets to the windows loading graphic, stops then reboots. Two options come up; start normally & launch startup repair. Start normally just repeats the process. Startup repair cannot find anything to repair.
- I have tried booting into a 3 safe modes, it fails at loading classpnp.sys then reboots.
- I have tried going back a few instances of System Restores, same error.
- I have tried this, no joy.
- I wanted to do a repair reinstall of Win 7 but you have to be able to boot into windows in the first place to do that.
- I also ran the BIOS hardware diagnostic on the machine & everything checked back as OK.
In the absence of any specific error messages I am now out of ideas. Anything I am missing or is it reinstall time?