Government intervention when it comes to savings/wealth

Posted on 2012-08-19
Last Modified: 2012-08-31
I wanted to hear your thoughts about how leaving the most amount of money/assets to your children without the gov't intervention...taxes and such?  I think that I'll probably be getting sometype of lawyer if I ever get to have this problem and I wanted to hear how some of you have/are planning on getting around this issue in the U.S.
Question by:vulture71
    LVL 4

    Expert Comment


    Here is a article that may inform you more

    "My secretary pays more tax than I do"
    The Oracle of Omaha....Warren Buffet
    LVL 26

    Expert Comment

    If you're in the USA, what state? Unless you're expecting to pass on over $5million, you can (currently) mostly ignore federal inheritance taxes. (Personally, I'm not expecting to leave quite that much behind.)

    Other than federal, different states can have some different rates. At $5million, think of as much as 20% tax though probably less.

    If you're going to leave enough behind to make a difference, you should start immediately giving annual gifts up to the general $10k non-taxable limit to each child. Also, create a trust (I like Edward Jones) and begin investments through it.

    Lots of things can be done to transfer ownership of assets as years go by. Your state will be the most important element that needs to be known.

    LVL 26

    Expert Comment

    The easiest way is to write the kid a check.
    The government will say (and take) nothing as long as it is for an amount smaller than any amount I will have to deal with. Ask the IRS what that amount is in your case.
    One can also set up trust funds but that usually requires a lawyer with some tax knowledge.
    LVL 26

    Expert Comment

    The max that can be given tax free in a year now is $13000
    LVL 26

    Accepted Solution

    It's $13k now? Even better. And I'll emphasize "in a year". It can be done each year for each child. It doesn't take many years or many offspring to transfer more than I'm able.

    As for "trust and lawyer", it's not technically required. But any solid establishment of estate distribution should involve a lawyer no matter what. When an estate reaches a size that is significant enough to be a concern, legal assistance is strongly advised. The cost is small compared to the desired benefits (IMO).


    Write Comment

    Please enter a first name

    Please enter a last name

    We will never share this with anyone.

    Featured Post

    Looking for New Ways to Advertise?

    Engage with tech pros in our community with native advertising, as a Vendor Expert, and more.

    One of the biggest challenges facing freelancers is balancing multiple projects and deadlines. Organizational skills and time management are key to keeping up with projects and staying on track. Luckily, we’ve curated seven tools to help you focus o…
    Surprisingly, there is a lot to Gym battles, and I thought it would be helpful to share knowledge about all the ins and outs of this feature!
    Where to go on the main page to find the job listings. How to apply to a job that you are interested in from the list that is featured on our Careers page.
    Want to pick and choose which updates you receive? Feel free to check out this quick video on how to manage your email notifications.

    737 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    20 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now