Incremental/Differential backups with Robocopy
Posted on 2012-08-21
We are trying to figure out a solution to our backup problem.
Background: We have a contract with a company and with that contract, we are suppose to send them a copy of all of the files we are working on or have backed up. When we send them these files, we send them to them on 2TB USB drives. Each month though, the number of files is getting bigger and bigger so we have to keep buying more USB drives to hold all of these files. The only way we can ensure every file is copied properly, we have to do a full backup at the beginning of each month.
What we want: In order to avoid having to do a full backup each month, we are looking for a backup solution that will do what we need it to do and we're looking at Robocopy. These are the steps we need:
1. Create an initial full backup with Robocopy.
2. At the beginning of the next month, we need Robocopy to create a copy of only files that have been recently added or modified.
3. Each month after that, we need Robocopy to again create a copy of only files that have been modified or recently added, since the first full backup and since the last incremental/differential backup.
In addition, we are curious:
1. If the source destination somehow is completely wiped out and all of the files have been removed, can Robocopy copy everything back automatically?
2. Since we have to ship out USB drives with these files, can Robocopy somehow split the backup automatically between 2 or 3 USB drives? We don't want to specify what to copy to a specific USB drive, we'd rather Robocopy automatically decide what data goes to what USB drive.
Can any of this be done with Robocopy, if not, please let me know of another option that would work better.