Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 863
  • Last Modified:

Visual basic 2008 prerequisit download error

I have an application created with Visual Studio 8.
I used the provided features to generate the .msi and the setup.exe files.
This has worked for years. Last week it stopped working (I changed nothing)

Following is the error message -
An error occurred downloading the following resource:
The setup log file reported "Downloading failed with HRESULT=-2146697210"
I set the prerequisits to download from the vendors web site - I chose the following :
1) Windows installer 3.1
2) .net framework 3.5
3) Crystal reports basic for visual studio 2008 (x86, x64)
4) SQL Server compact 3.5
Again it worked for a long time ... then people started complaining
Did Microsoft or SAP remove or rename a required support file ?
Any help would be appreciated,
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
Just a side comment - I seriously doubt anyone out there does not have MSI 3.1 since it went out with XP SP2.

It is most likely being sourced locally and compiled into your package - making it bigger.

However, if you eliminate it and get rid of your error - you're home free and it isn't likely to cause problems with clients.

Opps - your URL indicates it is the SQL Server runtimes.

Here is an updated link - however, it is an EXE: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5783
Danimal-KAuthor Commented:
I appreciate the comment on the MSI 3.1 and will remove it, but probably won't solve the problem.

Please let me know if I got this right -
1)  I upgrade my development machine to SQL server compact SP2
2)  Re-compile and upload to my web site
3)  When a client downloads, it loads the SQL server compact upgrade from the "vendor's
      web site" which now has the same service pack as when compiled,
      so it should download without error ?
I am not familiar with your development machine setup, but I would think you would need to set the development prerequisites to point to an updated version of the runtimes.

You would also want to test your application with the newer version.  Is there a way to simply include the older version IN your package to prevent the need for regression testing?

Perhaps if you upgrade the SQL server runtimes on your development machine it will configure visual studio with the new runtimes options?

I was unable to find any information by searching "using sql server compact 3.5 sp2 with visual studio 2008"
Danimal-KAuthor Commented:
Yes, this led me to the problem ... not the solution.<br />The problem was that microsoft updated the prerequisite sql server compact 3.5 to SP2 on thier server and the Visual Studio 2008 was expecting the previous version. <br />Finally decided to upgrade my project to Visual Studio 2010.<br />Thanks

Featured Post

Transaction-level recovery for Oracle database

Veeam Explore for Oracle delivers low RTOs and RPOs with agentless transaction log backup and transaction-level recovery of Oracle databases. You can restore the database to a precise point in time, even to a specific transaction.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now