Remote Site very slow to open Outlook 2010, Synchronise emails,
Posted on 2012-08-27
We have remote sites that are connected via Satellite links to a Head Office (also on a Satellite Link).
The sites are connected together via a VPN created by XipLink devices.
The Head Office is the Hub of the WAN and has the main services installed at the site (Exchange, WSUS Master, Financial System etc.)
To improve the local experience at the Remote Sites, we have installed one server at the remote sites.
Its roles are:
Domain Controller (Inc. Global Catalogue)
WSUS Replica Server (downloads from Windows Update, not the WSUS Master)
The idea is that the local users run off the local file server for their redirected folders (Home Drive and Profile) and store all their documents on a Shared Drive on the Server.
We then use DFS to replicate the data back to head office overnight for backup.
The majority of the users at the Head Office and each of the Remote Sites do not move between sites. However, as usual, it is a small group of Managers who will travel between the sites and expect their laptops to work “just like it is in their Office”
However, it doesn’t seem to be working very well for the remote users to access Outlook, nor for the users Roaming Profiles, but for this question I will focus on Outlook.
The ping times between the Remote Site and the Exchange Server sits at around 1200ms, when not congested.
The ping time to access an internet site (18.104.22.168) is around 600ms.
That is sensible as the route between the Remote Site and the Head Office is a double Satellite hop.
However, at times the ping times back to Exchange blows out to over 3000ms.
When I start Outlook when connected at the remote site, it sits at “Loading Profile” for ages, over 5 minutes.
When I start Outlook unconnected to any network, Outlook starts almost instantaneous.
There seems to be a difference in Outlook behaviour when I set the clients DNS to an internal vs external server when at the remote site.
DNS for clients set to Internal DNS Servers:
Outlook is showing “Connected to Microsoft Exchange”, the Inbox doesn’t update, and Outlook shows “Updating this folder”. But that’s it. It doesn’t update.
If I try the test Connection Status, (Control, Right Click on Outlook icon) it shows connected via TCP/IP
I can send emails, which reaches the Exchange Server, as they appear in my Blackberry.
But they don’t appear in my Inbox.
I can ping both the internal IP address (10.254.149.12) and the Outlook Anywhere address, mail.yyyyyy.com, which resolves to the same internal address
DNS for clients set to Google’s External DNS Server (22.214.171.124):
Outlook is showing “Connected to Microsoft Exchange”, the Inbox updates, and I am able to send and receive emails.
If I try the test Connection Status, (Control, Right Click on Outlook icon) it shows connected via HTTP
I can ping both the internal IP address (10.254.149.12) and the Outlook Anywhere address, mail.yyyyyy.com, which resolves to the external IP address 58.x.x.x
There is a forward lookup zone within the AD DNS servers for the mail.yyyyy.com Outlook Anywhere address that has a Host (A) record pointing to the exchange server.
So the issue Im having is I dont want to have the primary DNS server of the clients set as Google Public DNS server (126.96.36.199) as we cant resolve internal names.
But i need Outlook to work!