?
Solved

Sharepoint WSS 3.0 "Homepage" loading error.

Posted on 2012-08-29
6
Medium Priority
?
834 Views
Last Modified: 2012-09-16
Hi there,

Last week our default Sharepoint page/site decided to stop functioning, giving me an error:

An unexpected error has occurred.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.


This is the root address http://servername (which directs to http://servername/default.aspx)

All other sites within the system work just fine, browsing to http://servername/IT/ for example works just fine, it is just the root.

I am able to browse to and edit the files of the root site, including default.aspx, within Sharepoint Designer 2007.

I have attempted to rebuild the default.aspx in SPD, I have replaced it with another default.aspx from another site.

I have also checked IIS and nothing appears to have changed here either.

As a last resort, I tried an IISRESET and a rboot of the server but still know luck.

Any help resolving this issue would be great. It's not a critical page and contains only a few company calendars but its set as the homepage for many users and they just moan :)
0
Comment
Question by:ultra-it
  • 4
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 44

Expert Comment

by:Rainer Jeschor
ID: 38344807
Hi,
can you have a look in the SharePoint ULS log?
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Logs

There you should find the cause for the "Unexpected Error". There could be multiple reasons therefore we would need this information.

There is a free tool available which should make the analysis a little bit more easy:
http://sharepointlogviewer.codeplex.com/

Thanks
Rainer
0
 

Author Comment

by:ultra-it
ID: 38345763
Thanks for the reply.

I have run the log viewer and taken a look at the logs but they all appear empty.

I have checked logging within Sharepoint at it appears to be on.

If its any help, logging for IIS is also enabled.

Checking through the logs here, I see there are entries calling the default.aspx web page:

2012-08-29 06:45:36 W3SVC1968202907 192.168.101.11 GET /default.aspx - 80 - 192.168.102.33 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0;+SLCC2;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729;+.NET+CLR+3.0.30729;+Media+Center+PC+6.0;+.NET4.0C;+.NET4.0E;+BRI/1;+InfoPath.3) 401 1 0

Open in new window

0
 
LVL 44

Assisted Solution

by:Rainer Jeschor
Rainer Jeschor earned 2000 total points
ID: 38347441
Hi,
if there is an "Unexpected error" then there must be an entry in the ULS logs.

Do you have the chance to either
install and run Fiddler2 (www.fiddler2.com) as a proxy on your local machine OR

Firefox with Firebug add-on
to trace the requests sent from your browser?
Especially opening the root site http://servername.

If other pages / sites are working it might be a web part on the root page.
When you open
http://servername/default.aspx?contents=1
you should see a list of web parts - does anyone produce/state an error?

HTH
Rainer
0
Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 

Author Comment

by:ultra-it
ID: 38349087
Unfortunately adding ?contents=1 to the URL gives an "unknown error". However I was able to access the page on other parts of the sites.

I got hold of Firebug, and I'm hoping the attached image is of relevant information (not a massive user of FF, less so of FB)
firefox-error.PNG
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
ultra-it earned 0 total points
ID: 38389955
Hi,

After a little poking, I was able to track down and resolve this issue and unfortunately was one of those "face palm" moments.

It would appear that manual toplink element was added which linked to "..\site\page".

Worked fine for all the subsites of course but from the top level default.aspx clearly got itself into a mess and wouldnt render.

I was able to correct this in SPD by going to the top level site, clicking Site > Navigation and then double-clicking the top-link entry in question, correct the URL and all was well.

Thankyou for ytour advice though, it has certainly given me some additional error checking abilities.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:ultra-it
ID: 38402968
As stated in the last comment, issue was caused by a bad top link URL which, when resolved in SPD corrected the problem.
0

Featured Post

Prep for the ITIL® Foundation Certification Exam

December’s Course of the Month is now available! Enroll to learn ITIL® Foundation best practices for delivering IT services effectively and efficiently.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

SharePoint Designer 2010 has tools and commands to do everything that can be done with web parts in the browser, and then some – except uploading a web part straight into a page that is edited in SPD. So, can it be done? Scenario For a recent pr…
In case you ever have to remove a faulty web part from a page , add the following to the end of the page url ?contents=1
We’ve all felt that sense of false security before—locking down external access to a database or component and feeling like we’ve done all we need to do to secure company data. But that feeling is fleeting. Attacks these days can happen in many w…
This lesson discusses how to use a Mainform + Subforms in Microsoft Access to find and enter data for payments on orders. The sample data comes from a custom shop that builds and sells movable storage structures that are delivered to your property. …
Suggested Courses

862 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question