I have a WSUS 3.0 running on Win2K8 Enterprise x64.
Updates configured by GPO, was working Beautifully, so sad!
* The server got hosed, I broke it.
* I wiped it (saved WSUS Db and packages)
* reinstalled Windows, and prerequisites
* initial setup was using Windows Internal Db
* This time I am using SQL 2008 Express
* I reinstalled WSUS and dependencies
* I followed a technet guide to importing my old Db to SQL
* I have verified the import was successful, I see all my old clients, their stats, all the updates, WSUS console starts with no errors.
I removed the update GPO from my container, did gpupdate /force, rebooted, relinked the GPO, did another gpupdate and rebooted
I ran cmd, did wuauclt /detectnow and the windows update log looks like this on the computer I ran it on
here's a snippet from the log. Note, the server was rebuilt using the same DNS name and IP. The only difference is the SQL server in use.