Setting up SBS2011 DC on Windows Server 2012
Posted on 2012-09-02
I need to setup a server system for about 10 users including Terminal Service/Exchange.
After listening experts on this board regarding two choices (VMWare ESXi and Hyper-V), this time I have decided to go with Hyper-V that comes standard with Windows 2012. I am going to purchase Windows 2012 Server this week.
That said, since I am not familiar with setting up Hyper-V, I would like to get some advise from experts who have setup Hyper-V using Windows 2012 Server.
(1) Can you give me some guidelines on how to and what to expect during the installation?
(2) Since it will take time to receive a Windows 2012 Server installation DVD from Microsoft, can I download this (trial version) from Microsoft website for now to install it and enter the license code to activate later?
(3) Windows 2012 Server will be used for Terminal Service, Hyper-V, and Server backup. Using Hyper-V, I plan on installing SBS2011 as VM and Domain Controller. Do you see any issues with this senario?
(4) Can I use Windows Native Backup program to backup both Windows Server 2012 and SBS2011 Virtual Machine in Hyper-V environment in single external USB hard drive or I have to have two separate external USB hard drives?
(5) What kind of memory/hard drive space allocation should I do (during Hyper-V setup) for both OS? I have a new server box with 32GB RAM and 2TB HD.