We picked up on a problem with our data server on Friday where a number of users shares had 'disappeared' to be replaced in the folder root by multiple folders called 'My Documents'. Over the weekend an automatic disc check kicked off and we have now found that we have multiple event 2511 entries in the system log. Back tracking the log has shown that these first appeared in January a few months after our physical 2003 R2 data box was migrated to a virtaul 2008 R2 running under VMware.
Most of the orphaned shares do appear to be true orphans in that they point to some very old data that is no longer required / on the server. What I am looking for is:
a) some pointers as to what may have caused this
b) a powershell or vbscript that will go through AD and the event log and remove the orphaned shares - preferably with a 'dummy run' switch first as this is a production server.
I have found a couple of similar questions elsewhere but they either relate to 2003 or don't do quite what I am looking for. The closest are: