Having a weird issue with one network I am looking after. All the sudden this morning the client PCs can not connect to the Exchange server.
This is a plain vanilla SBS2011 setup with Outlook 2010 / Win7 clients. 8 PCs connecting to the SBS server, local LAN, DHCP, etc - nothing fancy.
As far as I can tell the SBS / Exchange 2010 is up and running - no obvious error reported in the logs. BPA ok - everything look pristine. ActivSync client (Iphones) are connecting fine. However both OWA and Outlook clients are failing (in different ways, see below). I'm suspecting some networking / DNS / auto-discovery issue but can really pinpoint it.
I have enabled debug logging on Outlook client and here is what I get for the startup handshake
2012.09.05 11:14:09 <<<< Logging Started (level is LTF_TRACE) >>>>
2012.09.05 11:14:09 HELPER::Initialize called
2012.09.05 11:14:09 Initializing: Finding a Transport
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: XPProviderInit in EMSMDB.DLL, hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI Status: (-- -- ---/--- -- ---)
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: TransportLogon, hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 Initializing: Found a transport, Error code = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: AddressTypes, hr = 0x00000000, cAddrs = 3, cUids = 1
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: TransportNotify(BEGIN_IN|BEGIN_OUT), hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 HELPER::Initialize done, Error code = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 HELPER::GetCapabilities called, Error code = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 HELPER::Uninitialize called
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: TransportNotify(END_IN|END_OUT), hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: TransportLogoff in EMSMDB.DLL, hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 MAPI XP Call: Shutdown, hr = 0x00000000
2012.09.05 11:14:09 Resource manager terminated
Can't really make out any obvious issue.
I have tried to ping autodiscover.mydomain.com and autodiscover.mydomain.loca
l and they all resolve and ping as expected.
At the moment Outlook users get a login prompt which is not accepted with valid creds while OWA users get login prompt then blank page - no error reported.
If I try to create a new outlook profile form scratch my account is auto provisioned as expected but still have the same issue as above.
OWA comming up blank might indicate that I am missing some IIS features so I tried
Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Client-Auth,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Http-Redirect,Web-Http-Tracing,Web-ISAPI-Filter,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Static-Content,Web-WMI,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy -Restart
but all features as reported as installed (anyway I am pretty sure that the root problem is not with IIS / OWA).
I have tried to reset OWA and Autodiscover virtual directories as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629372.aspx
to no avail.
Any further help / suggstions most welcome !!