We've just taken over the support of an environment that is setup differently than what we'd normally do. They have everything on one vSwitch, trunked and in seperate vlans.
The current SAN they have is a IBM DS3300 and I am also wanting to connect a DS3524 and migrate all the storage over to the new SAN. How can I achieve this with a setup like this?
This is what i'm thinking.........
1. Plumb up the iSCSi ports in the new SAN in the same vlan as the iSCSi ports on the current SAN.
2. IP address each of those ports with a different subnet in the same vlan giving logical seperation. (DS3254 ports o n one controller are not allowed to 'see' any other port on the same controller, subnet seperation in the same vlan acheives this).
3. Add four new VMkernal ports corresponding with the four new iSCSI subnets I've created (one for each port on the controller).
4. In the iSCSi software adapter I add the new Ip address and configure accordingly.
5. Add new hosts to host group on SAN
And voila I'm hoping I can run two iSCSi SANs in tandem? Is my plan flawed and you can't run two in tandem?
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.