Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 622
  • Last Modified:

After repair, The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context when browing in IE8

I ran into a system today, running XP Pro, where the machine was near death OS wise. I ended up running a OS repair and a SFC /scannow after that. I got the OS and computer to boot fine now, but I can only browse in Mozilla and Chrome. In IE8, every page I visit, I get the error in the title of this article: The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

I tried uninstalling IE8 from control panel, add remove programs / add remove windows components. I rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again.

Same issue.

I have tried running microsoft fix it to get the latest Windows update agent, I have tried running the Windows update automatic check command line. No go.

I have tried re applying SP3 for XP, still same issue. I have reinstalled Java, and same issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
0
PatrickDoman
Asked:
PatrickDoman
  • 5
1 Solution
 
PatrickDomanAuthor Commented:
I am attempting Microsoft Fix IT 50389 to redo the permissions on the Registry for local admins. I will let you know if this resolves it.
0
 
PatrickDomanAuthor Commented:
Nope, that seems to be hanging at about 95% complete.
0
 
PatrickDomanAuthor Commented:
I re-ran the IE8 installation after the repair. Ran Windows update again, the error is gone. It appears that after the repair and SFC /scannow, IE6 was installed. NOT IE8.

When I tried to run the installation prior to this, it gave me an error about there being a newer version on the system and that if I installed the IE8 I downloaded, I would not be able to uninstall/reinstall again.

The repair and other things I have run must have brought it back. I saw the old IE icon, did a help and about then saw that it reverted to IE6 after the repair.
0
 
PatrickDomanAuthor Commented:
Inevitably I had to reload the system. Part of the issue was a TDS phone system integration in the browser, when I had Java version 1.5 or higher loaded the browser would hang. This did have something to do with it but I didn't see whether or not it was truly the case.

Reload fixed machine.
0
 
PatrickDomanAuthor Commented:
I really wish there was another way to resolve other than reload.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 5
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now