Starting a project as a CodeIgniter newbie. A question about questions!
Posted on 2012-09-06
Within my organisation I've got some funding for a web development project to be done pretty much from scratch.
We have some developers in a different office who are using CodeIgniter, and they are likely to provide backup support for the system so I should be using CI too. I have previously done my PHP development without using a framework, so CI is new to me. In fact, even object-oriented PHP programming is something I've hardly done. I do have several years experience with PHP though, and more with other languages. The database side of things is no problem for me to manage.
I've previously used gVim as my editor, since I make good use of the features it provides. I'm open to trying different editors, but I think I'd be completely frustrated developing without something that's similar to vi.
I've watched the 2 beginner tutorials on the CI website, which is a start (I see they've been labelled as "archived" and "not recommended for new users" now though!). My next step will probably be to work through some other tutorials to help the concepts sink in.
The project I'm embarking on is a bit like a custom content management system. The plan is that it will:
1. allow business users to set up their own private website relating to a project
2. allow business users to maintain a user list (including clients) with associated roles/groups/permissions
3. allow users develop a custom skin to alter the style for the site
4. make various customised page types available which relate to our business.
5. have strong error logging
6. have an email notification system, so users can be advised of new content
7. allow adding/editing of pages, with associated menus
8. use subversion for source control
9. use TinyMCE for editing (I've used this previously, and it works reasonably well)
10. be very intuitive to use. User support needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.
I'm hoping to import modules/code (eg TinyMCE) where possible, especially with authentication and hopefully user management. I'd love to have some kind of (semi) automatic formbuilder too.
I'm likely to need lots of questions answered, but at this stage I'm not really even sure what I should be asking! So I'll start with that:
What do I need to be asking at this point?