I have a client who has a mysterious problem with his computer. While I do have an idea on what the problem might be, I have been unsuccessful at resolving it.
The problem seemed simple at first, but grew as I uncovered more problems:
1) User complained Internet Explorer was unable to play videos on youtube. I uninstalled Flash, and was able to play videos (HTML5). I reinstalled Flash, and the problem returned. I disabled all of the addons, but that didn't help either.
2) I tried to download Firefox. The main page at getfirefox.com displayed fine, but only half of the download page was displayed, and the download of the file never initiated.
3) Thinking this might be an IE issue, I went to Help -> About Internet Explorer to see what version was installed. However, Version, Cipher Strength, and Product ID were all blank. The only way I knew I was using IE9 was by the IE graphic at the top of the About window.
4) I went to services.msc to see what services were running, and the Extended Services screen was blank! I was able to see the information by going to the Standard services tab, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I ran sfc /scannow from the admin command prompt, but it came back clean.
5) The user has Carbonite installed for Cloud backups. The InfoCenter screen is also blank.
After lots of googling, it sounds like some sort of IE scripting engine is not working correctly (Carbonite uses IE scripting engine to display info in the InfoCenter).
I used msconfig to boot the machine in diag mode (no startup or 3rd party services running). No effect.
The user uninstalled his Antivirus, and disabled his Firewall. No effect.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated. The user is currently on the road, so any suggestions might take a day or so before I can post a response.