Server 2003 reporting wrong domain level
Posted on 2012-09-10
Good Afternoon All-
My goal is to install a new 2008R2 server and make it the DC with all the FSMO roles and remove the current 2003R2 server that is the DC with all the FSMO roles. What I have done is run all the adprep commands to prepare the domain for 2008. When I look in AD where I can raise the domain level I can see that it’s at 2003 level now. Now the problem I’m seeing is when I run DCpromo on the 2008R2 server it get to a point where it tell's me that the domain is at 2000 level and 2008 can’t be a DC.
2nd thing- I felt that after seeing the first error that maybe the current DC may be having an issue so I built a new 2003R2 server, I ran DCpromo on it which ran fine, then moved all FSMO roles and GC to it. At this point all looks good; I tried the DCpromo on the 2008R2 server again but still get the same error.
After the last test failed I decided to try one more test just to see if the new domain controller was working correctly, I turned off the old domain server. Once the old DC was turned off I was unable to log on my test workstation to the domain. I was unable to add a new workstation to the domain; it gave the error that a domain was not found.
At this point I put everything back to the way it was; the original DC is now back on and is the holder of all the FSMO roles and is a GC. All domain functions are working correctly.
It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.