[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 456
  • Last Modified:

Exchange - OAB

Hi
We are running a mixed environment with Exchange 2007/2010 and Outlook XP/2010. The problem we have is that we cannot download the Offline Address Book. In the log files we can see that some users can download the OAB.
We have tried different things to solve this problem:

Run a program called OABValidate 2 on the Exchange 2010 servers. We got some errors with users pointing to Deleted objects. We fixed them.
We have deleted all OAB related files on the 2010 servers and regenerated the OAB.
We tried to create a new OAB but I cannot download it. I get an error message that says: receiving error (0x8004010F). When I change back to the default OAB I can download it.
I could not download the OAB but when I added my account as a domain admin it downloaded the OAB.
When I removed myself from the domain admin group it still works.
I added another user to the domain admin group but for him it does not work.

Best regards
Matthias
0
ArcticPaper
Asked:
ArcticPaper
  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
  • +1
1 Solution
 
Hypercat (Deb)Commented:
What OAB versions are you running?  I believe in order to be compatible with Outlook XP and 2010 you would have to be running OAB versions 2, 3 and 4.  You also need to be sure that you have enabled both the web and public folder access for users to download the OAB.  This setting is under Organization Configuration/Mailbox/Offline Address Book properties on the Distribution tab in the Exchange 2007 mgmt. console. I can't remember at the moment if it's on the same tab in Exchange 2010.
0
 
Manpreet SIngh KhatraSolutions Architect, Project LeadCommented:
Which is the current Generation server ?
Where are the mailboxes that are working fine and the affected ones ?
Is the Mailbox Database pointing to the correct OAB ?
As you say its OL2010 than is Web Distribution enabled ?
Is there files on the Mailbox "ExchangeOAB GUID folder" ?
Has the files been copied to the "ExchangeOAB GUID folder" ?

Hope all Microsoft services are running ?
Test-ServiceHealth

- Rancy
0
 
ArcticPaperAuthor Commented:
Which is the current Generation server ?
Exchange 2010.

Where are the mailboxes that are working fine and the affected ones ?
As i mentioned we have a mixed enviroment and i cannot find a red line in whats working or not.

Is the Mailbox Database pointing to the correct OAB ?
Yes

As you say its OL2010 than is Web Distribution enabled ?
Yes it is

Is there files on the Mailbox "ExchangeOAB GUID folder" ?
Yes

Has the files been copied to the "ExchangeOAB GUID folder" ?
Yes

Hope all Microsoft services are running ?
Yes

Test-ServiceHealth
0
Restore individual SQL databases with ease

Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server delivers an easy-to-use, wizard-driven interface for restoring your databases from a backup. No expert SQL background required. Web interface provides a complete view of all available SQL databases to simplify the recovery of lost database

 
ArcticPaperAuthor Commented:
To Hypercat
We are running version 4 and we have enabled both web and public folders.
Best regards
Matthias
0
 
Manpreet SIngh KhatraSolutions Architect, Project LeadCommented:
If its an issue with some users i guess could be Database or something ..... did you create a new Database and point it to the OAB ?

Is the users Profile in Cache mode as Online mode wont use OAB :)
Did you try creating a new profile for the affected user on the same machine or another to check with the issue ?

- Rancy
0
 
Hypercat (Deb)Commented:
Again, I believe you'll need to generate an OAB version 2 or 3 and make sure that public folder access is enabled in order for Outlook XP user to see it. Or you could set the Outlook XP users to work online and use the GAL instead.

Are you using a proxy server for Internet access?  If so, maybe this article applies:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939765

Is autodiscovery working properly in general?  Have you checked to make sure the OAB website URL is properly identified in Exchange 2010?

Generally I agree with Rancy's comments.  I would check between a user who gets the list and one who doesn't and see if they are set to work online or in cached mode.  If the users who can see the address book are in online mode, then that would indicate that the OAB isn't working at all. This points to an issue with the URL for the website.

Here's the basic Technet article on checking/setting the OAB website URL, just in case you don't have it handy:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123710.aspx
0
 
0x0000008eCommented:
Try this...

open IIS
navigate to Default Web>OAB

Rightclick>Explore
(should drop you into C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB or wherever you have Exchange installed)

Now rightclick the web.config
choose properties>security tab

Verify "Authenticated Users" has 'Read' access. If not add it.
0

Featured Post

Important Lessons on Recovering from Petya

In their most recent webinar, Skyport Systems explores ways to isolate and protect critical databases to keep the core of your company safe from harm.

  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now