Forest preparation for Lync 2010
Posted on 2012-09-12
I'm trying to install Lync Server 2010 and am having problems at the 'Prepare Current Forest' stage.
If I run the 'Prepare Forest' step from the 'deployment wizard' it all says that it has completed successfully, but if I run the 'Get-CsAdForest' cmdlet afterwards then I get the 'LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_NOTREADY' message and three warnings in the log:
Warning: The global object "RTC Service" in Active Directory is not ready.
Warning: The global object "" in Active Directory is not ready
Warning: Forest is not prepped
I've seen that other people have had problems relating to replication, but I have forced replication between our four domain controllers and have waited over the weekend, but still get the same results.
I've also seen that other people have had similar problems because of an 'RTC Service' object under the CN=Microsoft container in the CN=System container. There is nothing in that location on any of our DCs.
After running the 'Prepare Current Forest' stage in the 'deployment wizard', I get a green tick against it, and it says 'Complete'. If I proceed to the 'Prepare Current Domain' stage, I get the 'LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_NOTREADY' error and the stage fails. If I quit the 'deployment wizard' and start it up again, it shows the 'Prepare Current Forest' stage as not completed (no green tick, and no 'Complete' label), and the 'Prepare Active Directory' section on the first screen has a red exclamation mark, and the label 'Partial').
I get the same results whether I run these stages from the 'deployment wizard' or from PowerShell. I am running all this from a clean Windows Server 2008 R2 install, and am logged in as an Enterprise Admin, Domain Admin and Schema Admin.
There was previously an installation of OCS 2007 R2, and it looks like before that there may have been an LCS 2005 install as well. Neither of those are operational anymore, and I don't know whether the 2005 environment was decommissioned cleanly, and what the upgrade process to OCS 2007 R2 was.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all the solutions that have worked for other people, but with no success.
To cover some other information that may be useful:
1. There isn't, and has never been (as far as I can tell) an 'RTC Service' container under 'System\Microsoft'.
2. I have now a couple of times completely deleted the 'RTC Service' container from under 'Configuration\Services' and ensured that the change is replicated across all domain controllers. Each time I run the 'forest preparation' stage, this is created new, but I still get the same error ('LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_NOTREADY') and warnings ('The global object "RTC Service" in Active Directory is not ready', 'The global object "" in Active Directory is not ready' and 'Forest is not prepped').
3. Each time, before I try something new, I ensure that replication has occurred across our domain controllers, and check to make sure there were no replication errors.
4. After attempting the 'forest preparation' stage each time, I force a replication across our domain controllers and check to make sure there were no replication errors.
5. Regardless of what I try, and whether the 'RTC Service' container existed before the 'forest preparation' stage or not, I always get the same error ('LC_FORESTSETTINGS_STATE_NOTREADY') when I run 'Get-CSAdForest', or attempt to run the 'domain preparation' stage.
Let me know if there are any log files, etc that would be helpful.