?
Solved

Exchange 2010 SP1 Activesync & OWA Authentication - Intermittent Problem

Posted on 2012-09-12
4
Medium Priority
?
1,005 Views
Last Modified: 2012-10-19
About 2 weeks ago, we started having problems with Our Exchange 2010 (SP1, RU6) server in that ActiveSync and OWA stop working. What happens is that all of the sudden, users get an 'invalid password' message on their ActiveSync device and can no longer receive/send any new mail. Likewise, when this starts happening, OWA exhibits similar behavior...no matter what account you try to login to OWA with, it comes back and says invalid credentials. I suspect that Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTPS) is also affected, although I have not received complaints directly on this.

Rebooting the server instantly fixes the problem for anywhere from 1-3 days and then the problem comes back. It's obviously related to IIS as internal MAPI communications and SMTP continue to work just fine the entire time.

No updates have been applied to the server that correspond to when the problem started happening.

I'm pulling my hair out on this one though. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly apprecaited!
0
Comment
Question by:rdevitis
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 20

Expert Comment

by:Rick Fee
ID: 38390716
I wonder if it is a problem with your certificate.   Do you have the trusted root installed on the server?

User:  https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ to see if there are any warnings
0
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:fred9777
ID: 38390722
When it stops working, I suggest you go at: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and test it out. The output will help you troubleshoot where it fails during the whole process.
0
 

Author Comment

by:rdevitis
ID: 38390762
EndureKona: The certificate is valid and the root/intermediates are all in place. I have double-checked that. Everything works fine for 1-3 days at a time and then all of the sudden, it stops until reboot.

fred9777: I tried that the last time it happened and it basically just came back and said that the account credentials were invalid (similar to what it was saying on the device or the OWA interface).

It sounds like an issue between IIS and the DC with authentication, but I'm at a loss beyond that theory.
0
 
LVL 1

Accepted Solution

by:
fred9777 earned 2000 total points
ID: 38390777
Make sure you have BASIC authentication set in IIS.

This link helps you reset Exchange Virtual Directories for client access:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff629372.aspx
0

Featured Post

NFR key for Veeam Agent for Linux

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license for one year.  It allows for the non‑production use and valid for five workstations and two servers. Veeam Agent for Linux is a simple backup tool for your Linux installations, both on‑premises and in the public cloud.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This month, Experts Exchange sat down with resident SQL expert, Jim Horn, for an in-depth look into the makings of a successful career in SQL.
Steps to fix “Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108)”.
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.
Whether it be Exchange Server Crash Issues, Dirty Shutdown Errors or Failed to mount error, Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery has always got your back. With the help of its easy to understand user interface and 3 simple steps recovery proced…
Suggested Courses

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question