One of our users sent us a ticket saying she cannot hear any sound from her speakers. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 760 (out of warranty). OS is Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Here are the observations.
1. The vu meter that appears when you click the speaker icon in the notifications area is showing sound level going up to the top when I run a video from youtube in Firefox. BTW, I do have the thumb on the speaker control all the way up.
2. If I click on "Mixer" at the bottom of the vu meter, Device and Firefox meters are both showing the audio and are hitting the top as well.
3. I looked at the driver for the SoundMAX Integrated Digital High Definition Audio in Device Manager, it showed no problems. I clicked "Update Driver" and chose "search online" and it said the latest driver is installed.
4. I disconnected the audio cable at the computer back panel, connected to my phone and played audio on the phone and could hear it through the speakers and could get it plenty loud enough.
5. The audio cable is connected to the correct connector on the computer back panel (the pastel green connector).
6. I opened the Control Panel app for SoundMAX Integrated Digital High Definition Audio. It only has a couple of off/on settings like "auto detect mic input (for mic or line)" and I tried both ways for both settings.
It seems that the problem is in the audio circuitry but that is integrated on the motherboard and since the box is out of warranty I don't have any recourse there.