• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 258
  • Last Modified:

Email Routing

I have a quick question.  I have 2 exchange 2007 servers.  The one having the problem, the unified communications cert is about to expire within the next week.  I noticed today that it is sending all mail now out using my other exchange 2007 server.  Is that because the cert is about to expire?  

I just renewed it today and will get it put in as soon as it comes back from the place i ordered it from.

Thanks
0
JJones312
Asked:
JJones312
  • 6
  • 4
  • 3
1 Solution
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
Can you post the error message or any events you are seeing currently for this issue.
0
 
JJones312Author Commented:
Ok i just renewed the cert.  The only errors i am seeing are below.  It seems that it still have not fixed my problem yet at least.
9-17-2012-11-48-38-AM.jpg
AM.jpg
0
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
Can you restart IIS...goto Run and type IISRESET /NOForce
0
Simplify Active Directory Administration

Administration of Active Directory does not have to be hard.  Too often what should be a simple task is made more difficult than it needs to be.The solution?  Hyena from SystemTools Software.  With ease-of-use as well as powerful importing and bulk updating capabilities.

 
JJones312Author Commented:
what is that going to do?
0
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
0
 
JJones312Author Commented:
i guess the question is still:  First off is the cert causing my problems with sending email externally from this server?

Will my users experience any problems when i do a IIS reset?
0
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
As i mentioned, run it after business hours.
0
 
JJones312Author Commented:
will do
0
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
The SSL certificate has nothing to do with the routing of outbound email.
Exchange will route email via the servers listed in the Send Connector. If you have both servers listed in the Send Connector then both should be used. Restarting the Transport Service on the server that isn't being used will force Exchange to update the transport system.

Not really sure why doing an IISRESET has been suggested, as on Exchange 2007 SMTP isn't part of IIS.

Simon.
0
 
JJones312Author Commented:
Just to further add to the confusion i also have noticed that some email maybe 10% is going out of the server and the other 90% is going to my other office.  I checked with my other IT guy and nothing has happened or changed to cause this to start acting like this.  

Any other thoughts?
0
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
Do you have two Send Connectors, or just one across both locations?
Are AD Sites and Services configured correctly, with both locations in their own Site?

Simon.
0
 
JJones312Author Commented:
I think i just noticed something about this.  This started happening after i got a message in a poison queue.   The problem seemed to go away over the past few days and everything started routing correctly again.  However i got a poison message in my queue  again this afternoon which if i am right restarts the transport service.  Since then everything is going out another server again.  Is this normal?  Also, from what i understand a poison queue is something that the server saw that could be harmful.  Is that correct as well?  I am just wondering if restarting the transport service might fix the problem?
0
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
When you get a message in the poison queue that can often be a sign that something was wrong, and was tying up resources. That could be why email is going elsewhere.
Restarting the Transport Service will force Exchange to re-evaluate message delivery and should mean the server is used again. If you are getting frequent poison messages through you should probably look for an underlying cause.

Simon.
0
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

Join & Write a Comment

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 6
  • 4
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now