So in short I crippled the network today for 20mins during a 2003 to 2008 migration.
We have a 2003 server that was our primary dc this had DNs and acted as our primary DNs. We also have a deticacted 2003 secondary dns. all workstation and servers had the prime dns set for the 03 server and the secondary server set for the secondary dedicated dns server. I figured when I migrate to 2008 the secondary dns server would take over like it was ment to and I would use psexec to script a change over later on all the servers and work stations. Only issue is the secondary dns never kicked in so all internal resource came to a screeching hult we are a 24 hour shop so we don't get down time... Anyways my ? Is why aren't my workstations failing over like they should. These are the tests iv tried. Changed my primary dns field on my WS to just my secondary dns address works like a champ. Use a bogus primary dns ip on on the primary DNs field and my secondary address on my WS secondary field and it fails to resolve any thing even after flushing dns. I also have dns on the new dc which also resolves perfect only if it's primary. So where am I going wrong what can I do to make sure I don't make this noob mistake in the future.
Ps. The migration still went well I did an ntbackup on the server state before demoting the server. So when I had to revert back, it brought back our dns but is no longer a dc. I'm pretty sure ntbackup saved my job. haha thanks ahead of time.
Pss. This is a static environment with no dhcp on WS vlans