I have a cable modem/router that is provided to us from our I.S.P. . The Internet service is working just fine; however, I would like to find out how I can Remote Desktop or VPN into my work PC's from my home.
I spoke with the Cable Company and they told me that the device that they provided does not have any remote options on it. Hence, we would need to purchase a router on our own and then configure it with port forwarding.
So the scenario would be as follows.
1. Internet Cloud.
2. Connects to I.S.P. 's router.
3. Then an ethernet cable would connect from ISP's router into our newly purchased router.
a. We would need to configure the internal router for port forwarding.
b. The Work PC's would receive IP addresses from the internal router.
The External Router (ISP's Router) would get the external Internet IP address,.
My questions are:
1. What type of small office router should I look for?
2. What specific requirements should I look for(in a small office router) to get Remote Connections to work securely?
3. My goal is to remote into 1 specific PC at 1 time.
4. What would I need to make sure is configured on the router to allow the remote connections from the outside world.