Internet Explorer 8 displays images as a white box with a red X
Posted on 2012-09-19
Greetings wise wizards of EE:
I'm helping a friend with a Dell Optiplex desktop with an Intel dual-core processor and 4 GB of RAM, running Windows XP. He is an... (shudder)... AOL subscriber, and uses the AOL 9.7 software as his browser.
About six months ago, SOME images displayed on his AOL browser would appear only as a small white box with a red X. Not all, just some. He has lived with this highly annoying issue for six whole months, until he asked me to take a look. I then examined Internet Explorer 8, and discovered that the same issue exists. Here's what I tried thus far (the issue persists):
1. Reset Internet Explorer 8 & restored advanced settings
2. Cleared cookies & temporary Internet files
3. Disabled all plug-ins and toolbars
4. Ran a full AVG Antivirus scan, no threats detected
5. Updated the latest version of Flash & Java
6. Took a look at the video graphic settings, nothing unusual
7. Made sure that "Show Pictures" was checked in the Multimedia section of Internet Explorer options
8. Tried multiple Google searches to no avail, including an Experts-Exchange database search
9. Downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox, which DOES work without issue (no white boxes), but that does not solve the AOL browser issue, which my elderly friend prefers
The issue appeared too long ago to try a System Restore, or to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 (it will affect a great many applications if I attempt to do so).
I realize that AOL & Internet Explorer share a close relationship, though I'm not sure of the behind the scenes details... I am frankly out of ideas short of a reformat, and thus, I'm hoping that one of you wise wizards will come soaring out of the clouds with the solutions to this pesky issue!
Many thanks in advance,