Exchange 2007 Store.exe using excessive cpu and memory
Posted on 2012-09-20
I have an Exchange 2007 server that recently started eating up all cpu and memory resources on my server to the point where it has become unresponsive. Users complain of outlook going on and offline.
When I found out about the problem I did the following:
1- Upgraded from SP1 to SP3 Rollup 8 (no change)
2- Uninstalled antivirus software (no change)
I don't see any errors in the event logs that help direct me towards a specific problem.
This server is a virtual server running on VMware ESXi. It is the only Exchange server in the environment.