I ran into this issue yesterday and I can't figure it out.
The client uses using WMP 12 to manage and play his music. He has most, if not all, of his album covers for his collection. What has been happening is that one particular album cover has been populating in place of those he does not have. For instance, Aerosmith's Get You Wings will have The Crow soundtrack cover in its place. This is the cover being placed in those albums where there is no cover available. We are also seeing wrong songs being played, for instance, Aerosmith's Dream On, when chosen, will play Elvis Presley's Hound Dog.
What I have done:
Rolled back to WMP 11 (no help) back up to WMP 12
Downloaded and installed iTunes 10.7.0.21, surprisingly, the same issue occurs.
Cut The Crow soundtrack album from the music album and dropped it on the dekktop to see what would happen, same issue.
I did run Combofix and Malwarebytes to make sure there wasn't anything running around that wasn't supposed to be there, there wasn't.
Win 7 Home Premium x64
Client uses website www.download.nl
to download music. It's not a bittorrent site, but you can dl music (most anything) for free.
I have heard of uploads that are purposely have the wrong labels, but the cover art thing I haven't seen before.