Hi There, I have been tasked with completing a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 that was left unfinished by the previous IT guy who was let go.
To give you a bit of back ground I have recently been employed by this business and one of the tasks is to complete the migration to Exch 2010. As it stands they have a head office with 1 Exchange 2003 server that stores all the mailboxes (200) and is where all outlook clients connect to access their mail. They also have a BES server in the head office with 100 users. (please also see image attached).
We have an offsite Datacentre with a 100Mbit connection between sites that has another DC and the Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 Std. One of the requirements that I have been asked is resilience which in other words means to have DAGs and the previous guy has made the error not to install Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 Enterprise to enable this functionality.
The way it has been left at the moment is that the Exchange 2010 server in the Data Centre has the MBox, Hub and CAS roles installed but is ONLY routing mail to the mailboxes on the Exchange 2003 server in the HQ. it is not used for CAS and it does not have ANY mailboxes stored on it at present. However all prep work and prerequisites have been done to enable exchange 2003 & 2010 co-existence.
The end goal is to achieve the following:
1. All 200 mailboxes on a 2 node DAG cluster one of which will be in the DC and the other in HQ (HQ will be the active DAG).
2. As DAGs do not support public folders we must replicate the public folder database on each database server in HQ and DC.
3. The BES server needs to be re-configured to connect to mailboxes on the Exch 2010 DAG.
4. There will be a CAS and Hub Transport server in both the DC and Head Office on separate servers to the DAGs mailbox server.
5. The BES server will stay in the Head Office and have its MAPI profile configured for the Exchange 2010 DAG.
My plan is to do the following:
1. Deploy an Exchange 2010 std server on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise into the Exchange organisation alongside the other 2 servers and configure this as a 1 node DAG.
2. Deploy an additional Exchange 2010 std server with the Hub and CAS roles in the Head Office and route all inbound mail to this server.
3. Move all 200 mailboxes over to the new single node Exchange 2010 DAG.
4. Move the BESADMIN mailbox over the the Exchange 2010 DAG and re-configure BES for Exchange 2010 such as the CDO and MAPI etc.
5. Replicate the Public Folders from the Exch 2003 server to the Exch 2010 server.
6. De-commission the old Exchange 2003 server from the organisation.
7. Deploy another Exchange 2010 std server on Server 2008 R2 Enterprise in the Data Centre and join this to the DAG as a second cluster node and replicate the Public Folders.
8. Re-configure the existing Exchange 2010 server in the Data Centre which is on Server 2008 R2 Std as a CAS and HUB transport server.
Please can you advise if my procedure is best practice or if there is any major steps or requirements I am missing?
My main concern is if any of the steps will break the existing exchange 2003 / 2010 co-existence in the configuration it is currently in.
Also some insight on moving the BES server without having to re-sync the devices again would be great.