Possible Method (Script?) to Save Open Files in Word, Close Word, then Re-Open Word With Last Document Open?
Posted on 2012-09-20
Good Morning All -
This weekend, I must deploy a new file (overwriting an old one) to all workstations. The file is referenced by Microsoft Word 2010 therefore Word must be closed for the file to successfully copy. Also, I'm using SCCM 2012 to accomplish this.
I created a task sequence which does the following:
- Force Word to quit ("tskill winword /a")
- Copies file (xcopy string)
It works great and I am deploying it early in the morning - however - we have some people who work at all hours. Ideally, I'm trying to find the best method to where there is no interruption as I know people leave Word docs open overnight, too.
Therefore, what I'm trying to find is a method or script which would do the following:
1. Save any open documents in Word if there are any open
2. Exit or taskkill Word
3. Pause to let me copy the file /w xcopy
4. Re-Open Word with the last document that was open - IF - Word was previously open when script began
I know that this is a lot to ask and maybe not possible without hours of coding. Still, why not ask.