My mac mini (circa 2007/8 model MB138XX/A, which as had no upgrades) has suddenly developed a problem where it will not login to my account. What happens is that after normal startup, you get to the accounts screen, and after selecting your account and typing your password, you get a screen transition to a blue screen which doesn't change to my normal desktop. The mouse pointer is there, but ther's nothing to click on.
I need help to get it started again. I was contemplating wiping it and starting over with a fresh OS & software install
1) The hard drive was almost completely full. I was in the process of removing data (turned it off one night and next day this happened)
2) I use a standard 101 key USB windows keyboard
3) I have tried booting off a bootable OS X disk while holding "c" with no effect. Also tried starting with the option key held down, control -s, the PRAm reset combo, all with no effect (just takes me to the login screen.)
4) I have held down the menu key on the apple remote but it doesn't give any option but booting from the hdd
5) I have created an emergency boot USB drive but I'm unsure how to make it work
6) I don't have another mac to firewire into this with or an external case to plug the hard drive into.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.